Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Say cheese...

or pronounce gruyere, specifically.  I didn't argue with the guy in the Publix deli about it, but I am pretty sure I was right.  I like Stewart and he loves his job - that's one reason why I like Publix so much.  Happy employees.  Well, except for the Crispers employee who murdered his manager, but I think there were some extenuating circumstances.  But I digress...  I've discovered gruyere cheese.  And I love it.  I don't, however, love the price.  A couple of weeks ago I tried the new holiday sub for lunch: turkey, bacon, cranberry sauce and gruyere cheese.  Interesting combination - but a little dry.
I've been working on my own rendition.
I love cheese.  Real cheese - not the processed stuff.  My husband was raised on Velveeta and Kraft singles - and the only mac & cheese he would eat was Kraft Dinner - the cheesiest.  I admit that I have nothing against Kraft dinner - it will do in a pinch, but I like the real stuff.  The only cheese Tim would eat on a sandwich was yellow stuff wrapped in plastic - or swiss cheese.  He decreed that all other cheese was too strong.  Would someone explain to me how swiss cheese isn't strong in flavor?  I mean, I don't like sharp cheddar so much, but to my palate, open to more cheese flavor than Tim's, swiss cheese is fairly strong.  Anyhow, he did get so he would eat provolone, but only if it wasn't too smoky.  Now that I am on my own, I've been more adventurous with my grilled cheese sandwiches: havarti, colby, edam, monterey jack, muenster, gouda, pepper jack, asiago - if you can slice it, I've tried some on a sandwich.
I haven't been disappointed yet.
And so I have pondered making macaroni and cheese for Thanksgiving with a luscious pound of smoked gruyere.  Which would cost about as much as a turkey - and wouldn't look like a dead bird.  If Squanto had known more about pasta and less about hunting wild birds, the Pilgrims might have whipped up a big pan of mac & cheese and the whole Thanksgiving turkey thing would be a moot point.  I can almost taste the creamy, smoky, gooey flavor of melted cheese and al dente pasta right now...
Or how about a gruyere and tomato tart?  The possibilities are almost mind-boggling - until I try another cheese I like better.

2 comments:

  1. All of these dishes sound wonderful. I love that cheese too. I think we wouldn't have any problem doing lunch together. haha.
    I've been buying raw cheese from the Houston Dairy Maids at our Farmer's Market. Soooo good.
    ♥ Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop it, you're making me hungry. I bet many, many people will have a big dish of Mac & Cheese (in some form) on their Thanksgiving table. It's the American Way or at least the Southern way.

    ReplyDelete