Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Sunday, November 07, 2010

Here's what you need...

when you are installing new software to your computer: extra strength pain reliever for your headache (oh, believe me, you're going to have one), scrap paper to write all of the error messages on, a pen to write the error messages down with, a red pen to correct your errors when writing down the error messages, and most importantly, a phone to call Microsoft.  Oh, and the software.  I was surprised - Tim got me the whole Home & Business version of Office 2010: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and Outlook.  So I'm up to date for another ten years or so - after a fashion.  I didn't even get to take advantage of my extra hour of sleep; I was up until three - no, wait - two (but it was really three, wasn't it?) installing the software and trying once again to import my old Outlook pst file.  All I really cared about at this point was the Contacts file - it had too much information in it that I didn't have written down anywhere.  Sound familiar?  Anyhow, I re-ran the utility program again this morning in another vain attempt to fix the old file and managed to salvage the contacts and move them into the new format.  Whew!  Enter the e-mail problem.  That one really had me stumped because my internet connection was working - but Outlook wouldn't connect to the internet so I could get e-mail.  After three hours of futile attempts to fix it myself, I gave in and went to the Microsoft support site and started a chat window for support.  I waited patiently for a couple of minutes and then up popped a reply:  Good afternoon, my name is Pradeep.  How may I help you?  I was seriously glad that this was chat and not a phone call because I am sure Pradeep would have been sorely offended at the snort and hoot of laughter that burst forth.  I am normally quite polite, but this was too much.  Icing on the cake.  A cherry on the whipped cream of my software sundae.  I managed to type Hello.  He asked me some questions about the problem and I replied.  When we ran into a snag setting up a direct connection to his computer, he asked if it would be all right to call me.  My Outsourced-related mirth had subsided by then and I agreed.  Let me tell you, this guy was extremely helpful and he logged into my computer remotely and fixed the whole problem in about fifteen minutes, thank you very much.  I will have to say, without a doubt, that he is the most helpful tech support person I have ever dealt with.  Even better than the Japanese tech support at IBM in Texas - where grep is whole other story for another day.  Now I need a nap.

1 comment:

  1. YAY for you!!! So happy you are back in business! Hope you are taking a nap as I type this!

    ReplyDelete