Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Oreo cookies - the original mass-produced comfort food...

And double-stuf oreos, well - they're double the comfort. Which makes me think of Phuti Radiphuti and the Double Comfort Furniture Shop in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books. Which are, come to think of it, comfort reading at its finest. If anyone had ever told me that I would love reading a detective series set in Botswana - well, I don't think I would have - but I do and I can't wait for the next installment. I just finished reading Alexander McCall Smith's The Girl Who Married a Lion, a wonderful collection of African folk tales - with a brief forward by none other than Mma Ramotswe. One of these days I am going to start reading his other series about Isabel Dalhousie, but for right now I have them secreted away in my reading drawer, along with some old Jean Shepherd books that I've been meaning to re-read after many years. If ever you are seriously in need of a good laugh, read his short story Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss - and you will be whisked back to every disastrous family vacation you ever went on and you will have a renewed appreciation of memories of summer travel in the family station wagon.

Uh-oh - better add this dislcaimer for the FTC: I bought the oreos on my own and no one from Nabisco offered me any enticements to sing the praises of the double-stuf. I am also not acquainted with either Mr. McCall Smith, who is living, or with Mr. Shepherd, who is dead, and have been offered no incentives to make positive comments about their work. There, that should above cover it.

3 comments:

  1. Oreo's are MY FAVORITE cookie on the planet. I had one girlfriend who bought me a bag every year for my birthday. And James will give me a bag for our anniversary or Valentine's. They are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who doesn't love Oreos? They are currently on the banned list at my house! I'm such a weakling!

    Sounds like you are doing some fierce reading! I am currently reading Wally Lamb's The Hour I First Believed.

    Love your disclaimer!! Guess I need to get one worked up. Do I have until December 1?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha... love the disclaimer! Though now I am totally craving oreos :)

    ReplyDelete