Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Okay, let's try this again...

I read these two really wonderful books last week - and I just have to go on and on about them. The first one, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, transported me to post WWII and the Channel Island of Guernsey. It's hard to talk too much about the book without giving away the plot - but as I began to say in my previous post, I just fell into this book. The characters, setting and well, everything about it is magical. The story is told in a series of letters between a writer, her publisher, strangers the author meets as pen-pals of sorts while writing an article about reading - and surprisingly the story revolves around a character the author never meets at all. I could say it's heartwarming, but that's trite. It's sad and delightful and moving and thought-provoking all rolled into a lovely little paperback. Not to be missed!

You know I love a good murder mystery and The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, serves one up in grand Agatha Christie form. It's the first in a series (yes!) and our detective is eleven-year-old Flavia DeLuce - a precocious little girl with a penchant for poison. No, she's not the murderer - but she suspects several someones near and dear to her as the mystery unravels. It is so well-written, it was hard to put down. And now I can't wait for the next one: The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag. Veddy British.
I also wanted to add a word about my snarky post about my mother-in-law yesterday. Not everything I write about her is snotty - she was just on my nerves after a month long visit after a hurricane destroyed her neighborhood - hers was the only mobile home left standing! We always thought we should rent her out to one of the late-night talk shows so she could dispense wisdom like the Fruitcake Lady. Coulda made a million bucks - or a dollar, at least!



1 comment:

  1. Ok, well noted follow-up about your mother-in-law. It remindes me of this season's American's Got Talent show. The kids and I watched the show for the 1st time this season. There was a comdian lady named "Grandma Lee". She didn't win, but she kicked-butt for a lady 168 years old (LOL). Honey, she rude, crude, and barely standby; but totally hilarious. Google the show and Grandma Lee so you can get a visual. You never know, maybe she's the long lost twin of Ms. Shirley.

    yoli :)

    p.s. ignore my typos. i type faster with my toes...(no not really). I'm actually a hyper person who tries to mult-task.

    ReplyDelete