Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Thursday, October 22, 2009

More card therapy...


I've been experimenting with color combinations - and I am ashamed to admit that I made an interesting discovery today... Duh! The markers in my Stampin'Up marker set are arranged in color-coordinated groups. I tried using them in said groups on these cards I made this morning and I am amazed at how much better they look than my previous attempts with the same design. Apparently, my internal color wheel is somehow off-kilter. I mean, it's hard to mess up Halloween cards because you just just choose the most garish colors possible - but when I try to coordinate the background paper and the colors - well, sometimes it is not good at all. Hallelujah - I've been healed!

I made banana bread last night - two huge loaves. Why? Well, it's like this: I am a fan of green bananas. Tangy, firm, not-quite-ripe bananas. I can eat three for a meal if they are the perfect un-ripeness. But when they start to turn yellow - heaven forbid - I am finished with them. That used to be okay - Tim wouldn't eat a banana unless it was starting to develop little brown spots (yuck!). At that point, I either wanted to make banana bread or throw them away. Anyhow, now banana bread or the rubbish are my only options. I tried giving my yellow bananas to Richard, but apparently he only eats a half a banana on his cereal every day and four bananas would last him eight days - at which time the last two would no longer be fit for human consumption. And so... I added extra banana to the bread last night and when the dogs and I sampled a still-warm loaf, it turned out quite well - if I don't say so myself. I brought the leftovers to work today. The extra loaf was for my friend with the restaurant three doors down. I figure she might think it's nice to have a treat she didn't have to make herself.

I almost forgot - I watched this really great movie the other night. I had read the book a couple of years ago and I wasn't overly thrilled with it - but the movie was surprisingly good. The Jane Austen Book Club is about a group of friends, old and new, who are weathering different problems and changes in their lives. It's funny and sad and romantic - maybe I just needed to see a chick flick, I don't know. I just really liked it - it's worth watching. In fact, I was tempted to watch it a second time!

4 comments:

  1. I go to Stampin Up classes and love it. I buy the stuff, but I should really pay attention to the color coordinating too. I keep thinking I can find something that will match it elsewhere and never do.
    You cards look pretty. I clicked on them and looked at them enlarged. I have those exact stamps, so it gave me some ideas. thanks!

    That movie looks good. I haven't heard of that book or movie. I did read Jane Austen Ruined My Life this summer. It was pretty good if you come across that book.


    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your wonderful cards, Dawn!! The colors look divine!

    I'm with you on the bananas!! Under-ripe only for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn, I love those cards, the colors are wonderful. I still think you should start your own card business, you are so talented. I love my Halloween card, I have it right at the front door so I can enjoy it every day. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A follow up- I don't know if you have ever seen this blog, but it's on my list. It's DRS Designs, and it's all about stamped and handmade cards. She's very creative, you should check it out.

    ReplyDelete