Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Another day...

of letting go. First thing this morning, my friend Long and I went to the storage unit to unearth the Hallmark ornament collection. I went through them and saved only the ones with real sentimental value - about thirty - which leaves 183 in these boxes which a gentleman has agreed to purchase from me as a group. I saved out a few others which I think will make some money on eBay; they're either very old or very rare - so we'll see how I do with that. And then, I did the unthinkable - and even at my advanced age, I did it furtively, looking over my shoulder for the ghost of my mother. I took the ornaments I intended to keep out of their original boxes (yikes!) and protective wrapping (horrors!) and I put them in my pretty, holiday fabric-covered sectioned Christmas ornament storage boxes, along with my other oddball yuletide treasures. And it felt good!

When I was at the jeweler's yesterday, we were talking about the whole collectibles market (Dave was big into beanie babies - and Leslie did the whole Barbie thing) and the fact that all the junk we had "invested" in wasn't worth anything! Well, except for Longaberger baskets. It seems that people are still willing to pay for retired baskets on eBay - which I knew, since I had sold lots of them on eBay about ten years ago. So last night, I decided that since I only had five of the ten JW Miniature baskets - what the heck? It's just stuff. So I snapped pictures this morning and listed them on eBay - wish me luck!

And finally, because God has a way of working things out, just when I had given up hope of ever selling Tim's like-new violin, I've had two calls about it today. The first was from a lady whose son plays in the local junior orchestra. He is taking lessons from a violinist who plays with the adult (?) orchestra and he thinks her son is talented enough to merit investing in a good, full-sized violin. She is taking it to the teacher for his opinion on Thursday - so I'll know then if they want it or not. And I just had a call from a lovely girl who actually plays the violin herself and she is interested in it if the first family is not. I'm just glad that this nice violin may actually find a good home!

3 comments:

  1. You have been busy.
    My sis-in-law who lives in Apollo Beach helps with estate sales down in Sun City and that area.
    She does a log of E-bay. I've sold some stuff locally on a website we have here, but never on e-bay. I know you'll have lots of success.

    Sounds like the violin will find a good home.

    Your making it...one day at a time. Proud of you.

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops I should proof before I click. I meant to say a lot of e-bay. not a log

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my goodness, Dawn! Those same tubs are in my spare closet. Although I have separated my Hallmark ornaments from their boxes years ago, I still have the tubs full of the original boxes. My kids can put them back in the packaging to sell when I am dead and gone!

    I'm ticked off with Hallmark this year. They have discontinued the son, daughter, and granddaughter ornaments which I have been collecting for years.

    So my only purchase this year was Puppy Love which is number 19 in the series.

    Best of luck with selling your ornaments, baskets, and violin!

    ReplyDelete