Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Reading frenzy...

Isn't is great to have a stack of unread books around when you're sick?  I woke up at about five Monday morning with the most horrendous sinus headache - like someone had stuck an ice-cold poker up my left nostril and scrambled things about a bit.  My teeth even hurt!  I had made dinner for Tim on Sunday night (gourmet beanie weenies and a brief visit so I could do his laundry) and didn't sleep well that night, so I attributed part of the headache to lack of sleep and too much thinking.  But the headache didn't let up; it just kept getting worse, so I decided to stay home from the office and self-medicate with Tylenol and benadryl.  Suffice it to say, I finally got some sleep, but no real sinus relief.  I was no better on Tuesday (add upset stomach and other gastrointestinal delights) so I spent another day snuggled up with the dogs in a reading frenzy with all of the Isabel Dalhousie mysteries by Alexander McCall Smith.  I tell you, they are almost as good as the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series.  He is such an excellent writer - I felt like I'd been transported to Edinburgh.  It was a wonderful diversion from feeling bad and thinking about Tim and that whole situation.  I am almost finished with the last, or should I say latest, book called The Lost Art of Gratitude.  The characters are great and the mysteries aren't murders, so much as mysteries of life to be pondered and solved - or at least resolved.  I wish resolving my own difficulties were as entertaining!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dawn, hope you are feeling better. I'm like you, I have a stack of books that are unread and half-read. I don't want to part with them when we move. I looked at my book shelf and I am overwhelmed with the though of packing all of them. Do you agree that books are like our little babies...?

    Love the socks. I'm a sock girly during the winter. Enjoy the "resolving" mysteries.

    Talk soon!
    Yoli :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dawn, Go buy yourself a neti pot and start using it. It will help keep sinus infections at bay. I swear by mine.

    At least you have some good books to keep you company. I love reading mysteries.
    cute socks!

    Joy

    ReplyDelete