Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Now I understand...


my family's movie rating system... It's like this: I have an aunt who once lived in California and is an expert on all things Hollywood. She is definitely the one to have on your team when playing the silver screen edition of Trivial Pursuit. A serious movie buff, she can tell you the stars, major plot points and even the director of most movies from about 1939 on. For one reason or another, however, she judges every movie she has seen since 1969 by what she considers the pinnacle of Hollywood cinematic perfection: Midnight Cowboy. I had never seen it, although I once read a humorous essay by Southern writer Bailey White in which her own mother, oddly enough, compared every movie she saw with, you guessed it, Midnight Cowboy. Figuring there had to be something redeeming about that movie, I decided to finally watch it, albeit thirty years late. Apparently in 1969, it was rated X! Yikes! Well, let me tell you, right now it would barely get a PG-13. I could have done without the psychedelic drug references, but I guess that sort of thing was de rigueur in that era. (Hey, did I use that right?) Anyhow, hayseed Jon Voight leaves the sticks for the big city hoping to strike it rich as a man-whore (thank you for that word, Adam Sandler), which he believes to be his one true calling. He meets Dustin Hoffman (who surprisingly did not win an Oscar for his incredible performance), loses all his money, fails to succeed in his chosen profession and ends up taking care of his new-found friend who sadly dies on the bus to Florida. If you could cut out all the gratuitous sex and drug scenes, it is actually an excellent movie about the unlikely friendship between two hapless guys, broke and trying to survive on the streets of New York.

So while I was on my old movie binge, I also decided to watch Easy Rider (which I had never watched in its entirety) - mainly because everyone said how great Jack Nicholson was in the film. Well, it's true, Jack was great. But then, Jack is great in every movie he does. His young self looks like a cross between Dennis Quaid and Tom Cruise - and he is, to my astonishment, quite good-looking. I first discovered Jack as Randle McMurphy in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, where he had perfected that lobotomized wandering-eye look, which detracted considerably from his overall appearance. At any rate, Peter Fonda was his usual beautiful, laid-back man-of-few-words self and Dennis Hooper was a colossal asshat. And, as far as movies go, to quote my aunt and Bailey White's mother, "It was okay, but it was no Midnight Cowboy."

4 comments:

  1. I am laughing over asshat still. That's one I have not heard yet. Although man-whore is funny all by its self too. Now I have not yet seen MC. But maybe I need to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We borrowed Midnight Cowboy from the library a couple of years ago and I agree with everything you said. It IS good movie, but the psychedelic drug scenes made me laugh. So cheesy!

    We left the DVD on the coffee table overnight and Son #3 watched it after we went to bed. He was probably 18 at the time. I think I would have been really embarrassed if we had watched it together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen Midnight Cowboy. Now I'm curious and will have to watch it.

    Thanks for the review. :0


    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your reviews of these two movies, Dawn, and think that are spot on!!

    My son and I are also big movie buffs. We hold an Oscar night party every year with ballots and bragging rights for the one to chose the most winners!

    ReplyDelete