Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Tuesday, November 03, 2009

One mean snake...

Yikes! I was walking down the sidewalk from my SUV to the apartment yesterday afternoon and I heard this rattling sound on my left. I looked over and there was one mean snake coiled up to strike, rattling his tail in the mulch. I almost jumped out of my skin (and nearly wet my pants!) - I looked him over for markings and checked his tail for rattles - but he was just an ordinary black snake. I must have startled him - but I kept going as fast as I could, considering my hands were full of handbag, ginger ale and my cane - which I was considering using as a weapon if he had, in that evil lurking snake-like way, decided to follow me. You know how strange scenarios start running through your head - in slow motion - I could smack him with the cane and he could slither right up to my hand - or I could try and fling him away with the end of it and he'd hang on and drop off on my head - or wait, wait - I could miss him completely and he would fly through the air as I imagine all snakes can and sink his fangs into my knee... Fortunately, I went one way and he went the other, but I was still seriously freaked out. Which is ridiculously irrational coming from the person who as a teenager once rescued an inert black snake from the middle of the road (he had apparently been stunned by a car) and put it in the bathtub for my father to deal with the following morning. I don't know what I was thinking then, but there was the added bonus of scaring the living daylights out of my mother, so I guess that's probably why I shoved Mr. Black Snake into a box and brought him home. In my old age, however, I have given up my snake rescue ways - now I just want to be wherever snakes are not.

1 comment:

  1. EEEEEeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkk! How scary, Dawn!! Glad you escaped unscathed!!

    I don't image I would have reacted as calmly as you!!

    ReplyDelete