Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Thursday, November 12, 2009

I just love...


tangerines. They make me think of my grandmother. When we lived on the farm, we had apples out the wazoo - and as much as I love apples, to this day I cannot eat a McIntosh apple - too soft, too sour and too grainy. I can't even make a pie with them. As the holidays approached, knowing we were sick of eating, picking or even seeing apples, Grandma would buy oranges and tangerines, and I was completely smitten with those small, sweet, easy to peel orbs of orange delight. I didn't even care about the seeds. When she moved to Florida (and we followed several year later), she had a tangerine tree in her yard and I would eat them until I got the hives (I did the same thing during strawberry-picking season in Plant City!). My lips would puff up like I'd been stung by a swarm of citrus-crazed bees! No warning about too much fruit was ever heeded - I was in tangerine heaven. I have since discovered clementines - all of the joy with none of the seeds - but I still enjoy a good tangerine or two or three... And the bee-stung lip look is really in these days!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dawn,

    I like tangerines but hate to deal with the seeds. I used to eat them alot as a kid. In south Texas we have citrus year round. Darn, I'm not allergic to tangerines so that means if I want fuller lips I'm going to have to pay for injections...yuch! Maybe you can bottle up the tangerine formula and sell it to movie stars. Don't you think some of the stars look so weird and freaky after the lip procedure? I'm too chiken to get things injected in me, so I will keep my chicken lips...lol.

    It is okay to give dogs citrus to eat? I've never tried it.

    Yoli

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like both tangerines and clementines, but if I had my choice, I'd pick clementines. They're easier to peel and eat.

    I bought a bag of tangerines at the store last week and was dismayed to discover that many of them are all dried out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tangerines too. I'm not an apple eater for some reason. I think its the texture.

    Didn't know it could affect you like that.

    My dad can't eat citrus. He looses his voice.
    Not good when you preach for a living. ha.


    Joy

    ReplyDelete