Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Monday, November 09, 2009

I don't know if it's just anticipation of the holiday season...


but I pulled out my dog-eared copy of Jean Shepherd's In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash this weekend and laughed like crazy at the story upon which the movie A Christmas Story is based. No matter how many times I read it, it's still hilarious. Actually, if you've never had the opportunity to read his work, you should run to the bookstore or the library. His first book is a visit home where he meets a grown-up Flick at the old hometown bar and they reminisce together about events from their childhood. I love the saga of the Bumpus Hounds (actually, Delbert Bumpus and the entire Bumpus clan!) and the leg lamp story (It's a major award!) is great - and I have actually considered buying Tim a giant leg lamp over the years. His second book, which I personally like even better, is called Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories. It's a wonderful collection of stories about the hazards of growing up: vacations, high school crushes, playground bullies - you name it. While I love the title story, the very best one in the book is called Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss (where does he come up with this stuff?); it took me back to every summer family vacation I spent stuffed in the back seat of a sweltering car with my projectile-vomiting sister. His stories also lend themselves well to being read aloud - so keep that in mind for the holiday season - no one is ever too old to listen to a story!

1 comment:

  1. Now that I have retired from teaching, reading aloud is something that I really miss!!

    I love Jean Shepard's work. If I could just round up a captive audience to listen to me read it, I'd be in hog heaven!!

    ReplyDelete