Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The power of memory...


Isn't it funny how our brains work? I've always been impressed with the way it remembers things we didn't even know we had filed away. I have always had a gift for remembering numbers and trivia, but once in awhile my power of recall goes out on me and I draw a blank. Like, what was the name of the movie where Peter Fonda and Susan Saint James played bank robbers on the run? Do you think I could remember - and this was before the days of just running to imdb.com and looking it up - so I just put it out of my mind, or so I thought. Well, I woke up at two in the morning with the answer, seemingly out of nowhere: Outlaw Blues. I may have consciously stopped looking for the answer, but my brain was stuck in some sort of search do loop and then when the old girl (picture a big purple filing cabinet with overstuffed drawers) spit the punch card into my consciousness, I woke up one trivia answer wiser. I guess that's just another miracle of creation - and how wonderfully we are made!

But every now and then, my brain does some weird stuff with old memories. Maybe yours does, too - and I'd be interested in hearing about it. A few days ago, I woke up in the middle of the night with this sense of actually being in a particular place in the past. I am not sure if it was a dream - or some random neural firing that brought that memory to the surface. At any rate, I was sitting in the car with my father and I was about twelve or thirteen, I guess. We were at Cortez Plaza - as it used to be - with a Belk store and a bakery and an old Publix - and it was so real, I could have sworn that I felt the climate: a warm, humid summer day, with the windows down waiting for my mother to come out of the store and warm bakery smells wafting through the still air. I kept closing my eyes, willing myself to go back to sleep, but the memory persisted. I kept looking around, wondering what it was my subconscious was trying to tell me, but I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. I finally decided that my brain had treated me to a nice memory of an earlier time; I felt safe and calm and peaceful and I wasn't worried about anything. I haven't felt that way in a long, long time.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful, wonderful memory, Dawn!!

    My brain seems to work differently. I keep having the same dream over and over. I dream that my teeth are falling out! Go figure!

    ReplyDelete