Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Monday, September 28, 2009

The Lesson...

I was casting about for something to write today. My weekend was completely unexciting: I worked for a bit on Saturday as I had a client coming in (he wanted to miss as little work as possible - can't blame him for that!) and I spent Saturday night and Sunday reading and watching movies. I didn't finish my book, but I watched some old favorites: The Blues Brothers, The Ladykillers and All of Me. I also spent a fair amount of time yesterday thinking and moping, overanalyzing my existence and everything that's going on in my life that is seemingly beyond my control. I had a hard time sleeping last night and woke up quite early this morning. More time to think and ponder and after a quick stop at WalMart for ibuprofen and packing tape, I came to the office. I have been sorting out stuff from storage to either donate or sell and the other day I came across a box I had forgotten about. During my collecting heyday, I was mad for Boyd's Bear figures and Tim had once gotten me a lovely piece (back in 1997!) called The Lesson. As you can see, it's a family of angel bears teaching the baby bear how to fly. The cats had broken the original I had (lots of my things met an untimely demise that way) and I had found an inexpensive replacement a couple of years ago on eBay - but I guess I never took it out of the box. No place to put it, I guess. Well, the other day, I liberated the bears from their box and here they are, demonstrating for me how to fly. Trite as it sounds, maybe the lesson I need to learn right now is how to fly solo again. I try to think of something positive to write about every day - who wants to read a downer sort of blog? - and these little bears reminded me of happier times. The box in the center of the piece says "Heavenly Home Flight Training Kit - The ONLY Way to Fly." Not a bad lesson for a Monday.

Mary Engelbreit never fails to lift my spirits, either. I went to her blog today and here was the picture above: "The world is full of cactus but you don't have to sit on it." Definitely a positive affirmation. And a good laugh!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dawn, your weekend and Monday sounds familiar. I like the part about "pondering" about cleaning. I love seeing Aggie in at the pool, every time I come to your blog. Hope you have a good week. Keep in touch.

    Yoli
    http://apronofthemonthclub.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always fun to find treasures you forgot you had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn, when I think of you the first thing I always think about is Boyd's Bears. I remember how much you loved them, how cute you had your office decorated with them. I thought of you just last week when I was cleaning out a gigantic tub of cross-stitch pattern copies. Do you remember how we used to share our cross-stitch books and make copies of them for each other? In trying to trim down the mess in the basement, I came across just piles and plies of copies, many of them teddy bears. I chose a few to keep and tossed the others, I just don't have the room (or the need) for them anymore. I think the older I get, the more I understand getting rid of clutter, and the more I value "clean empty spaces" around me! But, I still place a lot of sentimental attachment to things, and it's still hard to decide what to keep and what to let go of. That applies not just to material possessions...

    ReplyDelete