Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Monday, September 14, 2009

Another noir weekend...


I finally succumbed to the rain on Saturday and left the office early. I stopped at the grocery for a few staples and a lottery ticket (my weekly $1 gamble!) and discovered that David Baldacci had written a book between Stone Cold and The Whole Truth. So, for less than the price of a movie and popcorn, I brought Divine Justice home with me and suddenly those unexplained gaps between the last two books became clear. Duh! Now I want to go back and re-read The Whole Truth to make sure I have the story straight! Anyway, it was a great way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon and evening - just me and the dogs.

It rained so much on Saturday that we had standing water up to the back sidewalk - it looked like a lake! I decided to just stay home on Sunday, listen to the constant chorus of croaking frogs and read pulp fiction. As you can see, I polished off four crime novels - none of which were truly great. I got spoiled by reading the Richard Stark/Donald Westlake books first; he's very funny and a great writer. If you've never read him, try What's the Worst That Could Happen. It's not that the criminals are bumbling, it's just the funny stuff that happens to them - it's also a movie with Martin Lawrence. Also, the William H. Macy movie A Slight Case of Murder, which was made for TNT and is out on DVD, is based on a Westlake novel. Very funny - I highly recommend it - but then I love murder and mayhem, particularly when it's humorous. I guess you could say I have a tendency toward the bloodthirsty. I've got six books to go in my stack of hard case crime - then it's back to that Stephen King book I just can't seem to finish...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a weekend well spent, Dawn! I just finished Loving Frank by Nancy Horan and am starting The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb.

    ReplyDelete