Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Solitary Sunday...

A nice quiet day to yourself is sometimes a good thing.  (Gives you time to think and plot against the sane people.)  This ME illustration is one of my favorites and a great reminder - I have the beautiful ceramic plaque hanging in my bathroom.  Weird spot for it, I know - but then who doesn't contemplate the nature of the universe in the bathroom once in a while?  Aggie and Peter and I had a nice visit first thing this morning - neither of those lazy butts wanted to get up!  No worries or pressing chores for those two.  I, on the other hand, had things to do, places to go, groceries to buy.  Fortunately, not many people to see...

Quick trip to my favorite market this afternoon - I needed some vegetables.  Those great Eat Smart bags of broccoli were on sale - and I had to get some celery, onion and apples for tuna salad.  Milk for my morning Cheerios - stuff like that.  Oh, and the weekly beans for bean salad.  Fighting anemia, one can of beans at a time!  Aggie was also very  happy to see that Mom gave in and got a sub to share for lunch.  Spoiled brats...

And finally, in this odd post of random musings, a quick rant about Craigslist.  Actually, I love the for sale ads.  I've found some incredible bargains and I've sold a thing or two.  It's a great free service and I appreciate it.  If you've never really read them, the for sale ads are also a great source of entertainment.  Like all good English majors, I am a stickler for spelling and grammar.  My husband and I used to look out for misspelled signs in our travels - like our little local diner called The Sliver Spoon.  Or a day care called the Childern's Academy.  And both of those places paid a professional sign company to misspell their signs.  But I digress.  Craigslist is a veritable wellspring of grammar and spelling errors - and I am practically addicted to reading the ads every morning right after the Google News.  My excuse for even looking at the ads is the unlikely possibility that I will find the very thing I need - even though I don't actually know I need it.  Right now I have my eye on an old oak library card catalog, which with a little elbow grease and a new top, would make a great storage cabinet for my multitude of rubber stamps.  Alas - they want altogether too much money for it - and so I lie in wait - that classified ad huntress of the elusive bargain.  But waiting is a good thing - that's how I got the end table with the iron Singer treadle base in my living room for less than half of the original listing price.  But back to the ads - some of the stuff for sale is in really great condition and reasonably priced - and some of the stuff is downright hideous and horrifically overvalued.  People are proud of their used stuff, I can tell you that.  The sellers listing "antiques" are the worst; either the items aren't even close to being antique or the price is outrageous.  Other people use a lot of words telling you how much they paid for the item new and how they'd sell it for the same price if they could - not in so many words, but you get my drift.  I doubt that they ever unload their stuff.  And then there are the charming and often hilarious misspellings.  Do you have a dinning table in your house?  I've seen manicans for sale - and an integer which is allegedly perfect for displaying nicknacks in your living room.  I think they might have mean an etagere - but I can't be sure.  Someone was selling a Dodge Interpid for cheap, too.  Another guy had an antique armour for sale.  I wasn't really sure if it was a suit of armor or an armoire.  An alarming number of individuals cannot distinguish between oak and pine - still others aren't sure how to spell mahogany.  Here are some variations:  mehogany, mahagene and mahahgenny.  I am not kidding.  The job listings are equally amusing - apparently people comment on listings for their former jobs - one guy wanted potential applicants to know that Company X was a hostel work environment.  I wondered if they were actually hostile or if it was some sort of lodging establishment.  Another listing was advertising a position for a cosmotologist; the possibilities for that one were endless.  Were they looking for an astronomer, an astrologist or a cosmetologist?  Yes, I waste a little time every morning amusing myself with the Craigslist by-product of our failing education system: online classified ads.  It's cheap entertainment - you should try it sometime.

4 comments:

  1. I've never looked on Craigslist, but based on what you have written here, maybe our educational system does need some tweaking.

    ♥ Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've posted things on Craigslist, but I've I've never read it. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was an English major too, so I feel your pain. Re Craig's List--my girl in NYC is presently using it to find a place to live. A mother's nightmare...need I say more?
    Bests, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I bought Publix Eat Smart broccoli this week, too. I like to throw little handfuls into my Healthy Choice steamed dinners.
    I was checking out some ads on Craigslist this week but didn't see anything nearly as funny as your catches. It's really sad when you see the statistics of children who do not graduate from high school now. Sigh...where will they work?

    ReplyDelete