Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Friday, August 13, 2010

Glassware 95...

I sometimes hate computers.  I had a nasty little surprise yesterday morning when I sat down at my desk to work - a seriously annoying spyware program called Antivir Solution - which wouldn't let me do anything but buy their anti-spyware software had taken over my PC.  And there was no way I was about to buy anything from anyone who dared invade my computer - so I spent the better part of the day and evening ridding my system of the offending files.  I think the main problem was that when I got rid of the network router and corresponding programs and hardwired my internet connection, I  had no firewall.  After a lot of  swearing, name-calling and general aggravation, I was finally able to get online and download the free anti-virus/anti-spyware software from my internet provider and start scanning my system.  I was still scanning at seven o'clock last night.  So, instead of just sitting and staring at the screen while muttering naughty words under my breath, I got out a box of old photos and fell in.
Which brings me to Glassware 95...
This is my dear old friend, Larry.  I'll have to write a longer story about Larry someday because he was truly an interesting individual.  He passed away a few years ago and I still miss him.  Larry was always good for a laugh and the best part was, Larry could even laugh at himself.  In 1995, Larry was 86, and for a time, he was obsessed with finding out exactly how a computer worked.  I tried to explain it to him, using the analogy of a car and its component parts but the only thing Larry really gleaned from that example was the erroneous belief that Bill Gates had started out as a car mechanic, a story he shared with people quite frequently.  One day he arrived at my office in a complete tizzy.  "I have to ask you something serious," he said as he sat down in his favorite chair with a can of cold Diet Pepsi (much like the photo above).  "What's on your mind?"  I asked, wondering what could possibly be serious at the ripe old age of eighty-six.  He leaned forward and said, "Do you think I need this Glassware 95?"  My mind was a total blank - what could he possibly mean?  Sometimes conversations with Larry started out this way.  "What are you talking about?" I asked, still racking my brain.  "It's all over the TV," he said. "Glassware 95 - get it before it's too late, make a reservation or some damn thing like that.  If you think I need it, tell me and I'll order it today.  The way they're going on about it, it sounds life-threatening if you don't have it."  Then it hit me - Larry meant Windows 95 - the latest and greatest operating system from his good friend and auto mechanic, Bill Gates.  I couldn't help myself - I started to laugh.  It was contagious; Larry started to laugh, too.  When we had calmed down enough to speak, I said, "You mean, Windows 95, Larry."  He looked puzzled.  "Isn't that what I said?"  I shook my head.  "No, honey, you said Glassware 95."  He thought for a moment and then said, "Well, do I need Windows 95?"  I shook my head and replied, "No - it's a computer program and you don't even have a computer."  With that, Larry threw back his head and laughed his signature laugh, normally reserved for only the funniest of punch lines - unbridled mirth with no noise.  And seeing (although not hearing) Larry's joyful laugh, in my book, was funnier than any story he ever told me.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post!! I would so have enjoyed meeting Larry!!

    ReplyDelete