Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The cure for insomnia!

Eureka! I have discovered the cure for insomnia - just read Caleb Carr's The Italian Secretary - A Further Adventure of Sherlock Holmes. I love to read, and I will admit that I have read some stinkers over the years, but this is the first book I can ever remember not finishing. It's not that it's poorly written - on the contrary, it does Sir Arthur Conan Doyle proud with its flowery Victorian prose. It's just boring! I've tried for the past month off and on to finish it - and it knocks me out every time. Last night I vowed that I would either finish the damn thing or pass it along to a reader with more determination than I. This morning I tossed the book into the bag with the other weekend fare and promised myself to bypass any future such offerings from Mr. Carr. I just don't get it - I loved Angel of Darkness and The Alienist - both grand examples of historical thrillers, if you will. And I love Sherlock Holmes - my husband calls them "dull old mysteries" - so I figured that the combination of a great author and a wonderfully readable character would be perfect! Wrong - but then maybe it's just me. I've been reading a lot lately - catching up on all of the books that were piled up at home - and I'm rather quickly making my way through two jam-packed drawers of books: David Baldacci suspense, John Grisham legal thrillers, a few non-murder "cozies," a Dean Koontz from my friend Dorene, and a few others. This past weekend, I read Digital Fortress by Dan Brown, which was not nearly as good as Angels and Demons. I was not much on The DaVinci Code either. I also finally read Ya-Yas in Bloom - Rebecca Wells' follow-up to Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood and Little Altars Everywhere. It was funny and a tear-jerker - but as enjoyable as the first two books. I will have to say that I like the books better than the movie - but then, Hollywood and I do not always agree on casting. I mean, Tom Cruise in Interview with the Vampire is eternal proof of movie casting gone horribly wrong. Ah, movie reviews - a post for another day...

2 comments:

  1. Dawn, I can relate. I have a small pile of both paper and hardbacks sitting beside the bed. Many of them still have bookmarkers in them, from when I started them who knows when. I have vowed to finish them all, and to read the rest. I am so bad about buying more books before I've read the ones I have, I can't help it. Books are like crack to me, and I'm just an addict.

    ReplyDelete