Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Friday, February 18, 2011

Hyacinths...

I love green plants and flowers.  Unfortunately, after years of living with cats and witnessing the destruction of all of my beautiful African violets and other assorted houseplants, I gave up and resorted to fake foliage.  I’ve been lucky enough over the years to find some really great real-looking potted plants and other decorative greenery that doesn’t look fake.  The potted purple hyacinth on my desk fooled clients for years – a mere $20 at Target.  My potted red tulip even has realistic looking moss “growing” on the outside of the pot - $6 at Home Goods.  All of the potted plants on my lanai, including the gingko tree are fake – and they even fool the lizards.  A couple of weeks ago I was in Publix and as I left the produce department, I glanced at the floral counter and spied a beautiful white hyacinth.  I wondered if I dared take a real plant home – even one that wouldn’t bloom for long – and if hyacinths were poisonous to cats.  I picked the plant up to look it over and only then did I realize that it was indeed a faux hyacinth.  That sealed the deal – along with the maroon pot which would go perfectly with the red glass in my dragonfly lamp.  I guess I’m not destined to grow real flowers – but I can live with dusting my plants instead of watering them.

1 comment:

  1. You cannot go wrong with 'fake!' Like so many things in life....the FAKE looks so much better than the REAL sometimes!

    ReplyDelete