Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Don't judge a book by its movie...

As I am sure I've said before, I’m not a big Brad Pitt fan.  I mean, he has grown on me a bit over the years – particularly when he stopped taking himself so seriously and got in touch with his inner idiot in the Ocean’s movies.  A big change from the Look-at-me-I’m-Brad-Pitt in Legends of the Fall, when we all knew the real star of that film was Anthony Hopkins.  But I digress…  I took a break last night and watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.  All three long hours of it.  Long, long hours.  To say it was based on Fitzgerald’s short story of the same name is like saying that the world is flat.  Anyone who has ever read Tales of the Jazz Age, a collection of  Fitzgerald’s short stories, would recognize only the title and Benjamin’s odd aging disease, if you could even call it that.  There is no Daisy, no daughter, no old folks’ home – and he was not abandoned by his father.  Yes, Dad owned a button factory and Benjamin ended up working with him.  The original story is not nearly as far-fetched as the movie – and infinitely more believable.  Why does Hollywood take a perfectly good story and think they can improve on it?  The next thing we know, Hollywood will remake Jane Eyre, in which Jane discovers that Mr. Rochester has been hiding an alien life form in the attic – who ate Mr. Rochester’s wife – and she helps said alien escape to his hidden spacecraft in the woods.  Should she stay with Mr. Rochester or leave the solar system with the alien?  Coming soon to a theatre near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment