Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Friday, May 06, 2011

I love technology!

Yes, I know.  I complain sometimes, but I am so thankful for scanning and digital storage.  I have lots of paper after a tax season and nowhere to put it.  I started scanning back in 2007 when I started my own business and I kept up with it quite nicely - you know what they say: it's easier to keep up than catch up.  Well, I scanned everything.  Receipts, correspondence, you name it - it's on my hard drive in a PDF format and easy to find.  This system was working quite well until my network went haywire in the spring of 2010 and I couldn't scan anything to my PC over the network.  The person responsible for setting up the network was no longer on the scene and I had no clue how to fix it.  Eventually, I connected the printer to my computer with a USB cable and I had limited scanning ability, but it was very cumbersome.  And so the client files that needed to be scanned went into a box and ended up under my desk here at home after the move and the procrastinator in me just ignored it.
The annual tax jinx took out the Dell multi-function printer permanently and I was thrilled to replace it with my amazing new HP all-in-one.  I absolutely love the scanner and the scanning software.  It makes scanning client files a snap - and I kept up with my scanning every day during this past tax season for tax year 2010.  I kept looking at the box under my desk - and stubbing my toe on it - but it finally saw the light of day this morning.
This is what I've scanned so far - in the space of about two hours.  Scanned, saved and filed neatly away in my digital filing cabinet.  Can you tell I love this?
And I have this much more to go.  I am determined to finish scanning all of tax year 2009 today so I can back up my computer tonight.  Then I can shred and dispose of all this paper tomorrow.  It's a plan!

1 comment: