Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Odds and ends...

First, a tale of three bears.  I have had these artist bears by LoriAnn Corelis  for years.  Aren't they cute?  Well, I discovered when I was packing to move that one of the cats had been very naughty on these bears and if you have cats, you know how hard it is to get rid of that smell.  Anyhow, I was faced with the prospect of having to throw them away - Febreze was not working.  So I decided to put them in the washing machine and hope for the best.  And here they are!  None the worse for wear, with all their eyes and paws and buttons and smelling like little bears ought to smell.  There is a lot to be said for handcrafted things!

I'm still rummaging through the stuff from storage, trying to get ready for the flea market (and making some cash!)  this weekend.  I ran across my two crazy Mary Engelbreit dolls and decided they looked pretty good on the bed with my prized Mary Engelbreit embroidered quilt.  Are you sensing a theme here?  I rearranged some pictures on the bedroom wall - adding some, you guessed it, ME prints that I always liked.  The three of them make a neat little vignette (there's a two-dollar word): the top one has a boy giving a girl his heart (Open it! Open it!), the middle one shows a couple looking at one another (I said Yes! Yes!) and the bottom one shows an older couple sitting together (Grow old with me - the best is yet to be).  You can see why I like them, even if we don't all live happily every after.
During all my free time for rumination (there's a three-dollar word) this weekend, which was good and bad, I tried to focus on positive thoughts and how letting go of stuff was good - and I am trying to think of this as an opportunity to unclutter my life.  I looked around and realized that I am surrounded already by my favorite things.  The stuff I'm trying to figure out what to do with is just extra stuff.  Some of the things that really make me happy are very simple:
One of my grandmother's surviving Bauer ringware bowls filled with Scrabble tiles...
Oddball stuff grouped together on the wall and a basket of bears...
The other surviving bowl (which actually has a lid!) that makes a great jewelry keeper...
More bears basking in the fluorescent glow of a tiffany lamp...
More Mary Engelbreit prints and three teddy bear friends.  They are sitting on top of the empty cabinet where I am planning to put the one set of dishes (ME, of course!) I am rescuing from storage.  The rest of the dishes are going to the flea market.  I am sure someone is looking for a set of vintage Hull brown dinnerware - with every serving bowl and plate known to man.  Priced to move - cheap!

No comments:

Post a Comment