Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Another movie review or two...

I know - I haven't written about any movies in a while - but I am still getting my near daily fix from Netflix.  It's just that some of them have been stinkers and not worth writing about.  But I have watched a couple of thought-provoking films, so I will do my thing...

Lars and the Real Girl was offbeat - okay, it was weird.  But in a nice way.  Lars lives with his brother and sister-in-law and he's functional, but odd.  He goes to church and to work, but he doesn't really relate to people.  Margo, his work mate, has a crush on him, but he's not interested.  It turns out that he's working through some emotional issues (that's putting it mildly) and he orders an anatomically correct sex doll off the internet.  When Bianca arrives (she's Brazilian, you see), he asks if she can stay in the guest room because she's a missionary and they aren't comfortable being alone together in his garage apartment.  His brother is completely flipped out by the whole thing (since Biana can't walk, she is confined to a wheelchair), but his wife goes along with Lars and they end up taking Bianca (and Lars) to the doctor, who recommends treatment for the ailing Bianca (who oddly enough speaks only to Lars), and asks Lars to keep her company and chat while Bianca rests during the treatment she's prescribed.  If only all therapists were so clever!  Anyhow, the real story is that of a community that comes together to love Lars and help him through his "troubles" - whatever they happen to be.  No one understands, but they are willing to love him anyway.  As a result, Bianca becomes quite popular: she gets a job modeling in the store window, volunteers at the school reading to kids (via recording - she's shy) and is even elected to the School Board - which made me laugh because perhaps all good politicians and public figures should be silent.  Which, in turn, made me think: maybe Clarence Thomas is an anatomically correct sex doll.  But I digress...  Anyhow, the movie has a happy ending, for Lars at least, and it makes you wonder: who is the real girl that the title refers to?  Bianca or Margo?

I love Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson, and they make an odd but believable pair in Last Chance Harvey.  He excels at the sad sack roles he often takes on - but I'm used to Emma Thompson playing a stronger sort of woman.  In fact, she made me think a bit of myself in this film - the way she allowed her mother to run over her constantly.  At any rate, Harvey is a jingle writer who goes to London for his only daughter's wedding, only to find that they rather wish he hadn't.  He goes to the ceremony and has to go back to NYC before the reception.  After several near misses at the beginning of the movie, he finally chats up Kate in the airport lounge and they have lunch and spend the afternoon together walking all over London as he has missed his flight (and lost his job).  She encourages him to attend the reception and he does, taking Kate along with him - and ends up mending fences with his daughter and his ex-wife - even the stepfather.  He and Kate have a tentatively happy ending - but I was left wondering if Harvey's last chance was the reunion with his daughter or the possibility of romance with Kate.    It was good, but it was no Midnight Cowboy

Finally, even though I don't particularly like that Shia LeBoeuf kid, at Richard's urging, I watched Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.  Harrison Ford and Indy have aged quite nicely - must be genetic since Sean Connery is Indy's late father.  Alas, no Sean in this film, but no movie is truly perfect.  It's hard to say much about this movie without giving too much of the plot away - but it was almost as good and suspense-filled as Raiders of the Lost Ark, which makes a brief appearance in Hangar 51 (hint, hint) in this film.  Cate Blanchett makes an excellent Russian villain, who was apparently Stalin's top scientist who has an interest in all things paranormal.  I like her anyway because she's so chameleon-like.  She can be beautiful and in another role, she can be homely as a mud fence.  She's very talented; I thought she was Katharine Hepburn in The Aviator, although the rest of the movie was a dud.  And Karen Allen is back as Marion Ravenwood - and Indy is as smitten as ever.  I mean, didn't you just want to be Marion in Raiders of the Lost Ark?  It made me rethink a career in archeology anyway...  She's still feisty and well, I can't say any more about this movie.  If you haven't seen it, rent it.  It's very entertaining!

1 comment: