Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Friday, December 18, 2009

And another thing...

I know a lot of Spanish-speakers who don't speak proper Spanish.  I mean, the Mexican pronunciation of Spanish words makes me nuts, and it's very difficult to follow, but it makes my Nicaraguan friend crazy!  The other day one of my clients, who is hispanic, asked me where I thought he could buy ahacks wholesale.  I could not, for the life of me, figure out what he was talking about.  He says - "look, it's on those receeps."  Well, it turns out he meant Ajax - but since a J is pronounced like a H en espanol, because there is ostensibly no J sound in the language (I'll get to that in a minute), it came out ahacks, with the accent on the hacks.  But then again, the same people who would leave the J in Ajax silent, will pronounce caballero ca-by-jero with a J sound for the LL instead of a Y sound.  And jora instead of llora.  And juvia instead of lluvia.  I mean, it would just be easier to say cowboy, cry and rain, but that's just me.  My Central American friend's pet peeve is the Spanglish words her father-in-law makes up: pushar instead of empujar (the verb to push) and mop-o instead of trapeador (those two words are nothing alike!).  Oh well, ain't none of us perfect.  Feliz Navidad!

No comments:

Post a Comment