Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Thursday, July 30, 2009

When I was in high school...

I discovered Julia Child and The French Chef on PBS reruns. It wasn't so much that I wanted to learn to cook; I just enjoyed the way Julia enjoyed cooking. Cooking at our house was never an adventure. It was an exercise in following a tried and true recipe to the letter and cleaning up as you went along - there was never any mess in our kitchen. I'll never forget the look on my mother's face when she saw Julia Child pitch eggshells over her shoulder. I longed to cook like Julia - just once - using wine and exotic spices and leaving the mess until dinner was in the oven or God forbid - after dinner had been consumed and thoroughly enjoyed. Well, that never happened and even when I had my own kitchen and license to cook, well, licentiously - my cooking habits were so ingrained that I stuck to recipes (for the most part) and cleaned up as I went along. I loved Julie & Julia by Julie Powell - if you haven't read it and you like to cook or just like Julia Child - go out and buy it. Yes, seeing the movie trailers with Meryl Streep as Julia and Stanley Tucci as her husband, Paul, is what made me check out the book. But I'm glad I did. It made me want to make Potage Parmentier as soon as I finished the first chapter! I haven't yet - but I did print out the recipe and I am going to buy potatoes and leeks the next time I go to the grocery. Of course, now I want to read Julia's autobiography and maybe make a clafouti with summer cherries...

No comments:

Post a Comment