Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Apartment living...

is indeed an experience. With the exception of living in a college dorm, I've always lived in a house. Quietly. With virtually silent neighbors. Here, I'm on the ground floor next to a staircase and it would seem that everyone who lives above me cannot walk without stomping their feet. Loudly. At all hours of the day and night. No wonder Aggie and Monty bark their fool heads off! My screened lanai backs up to a sidewalk which at certain hours of the day is heavily traveled by people who cannot speak in a normal tone of voice. I am thankful every day that the uppity Latina diva with the silver BMW moved out - she was the loudest stomper/talker of all - but she has since been replaced by a two gentlemen with several children each who apparently visit only on weekends. Yikes! There is no end to the walking, running, yelling and scooters up and down the sidewalk. Back and forth, in and out - a half hour of silence - and then the cycle repeats itself. I'm an old grump - that's all there is to it!

The apartment is roughly one third the size of our old house - so we downsized quite a bit, but it was really liberating to get rid of stuff we never used. The kitchen is small but cute with few cupboards - so I have a lot of dishes and other kitchen stuff in storage. My old kitchen had 28 cupboards, a double oven and two sinks! Oh well - it's not like I really have to cook much with Tim in Pennsylvania and just me and the mutts...

The kitchen is open to the living room, which has just enough room for a sofa (a pretty sage green from Grandma's apartment...), an ottoman, one of my stained glass floor lamps and the television cabinet. I also have a book cabinet next to the front door, across from the kitchen breakfast bar. When Tim was here in January, he brought one of my Target-special tables from the office to use as a desk. I've put it right under the breakfast bar and it admirably serves the purpose. A cluttered little place to sit and write is always a good thing!
I'm using my antique iron bed and the barely-used mattress and box spring from Grandma's apartment. Unfortunately, it's one of those extra thick mattresses and not meant for short, fat people to climb into easily. Chunky Aggie can't jump up on the bed at all! I need to get her one of the pet step things - now that she's almost eleven and not as agile as she used to be.
The bedroom is actually fairly large, and aside from the weirdness of having the sink in the bedroom next to the bathroom door (the stackable washer and dryer is in the bathroom - very convenient!), it is a very pleasant room. It has a pretty big walk-in closet and room for the bed, two large nightstands (for my reading stash) and a large bureau.

Aside from the daily noise, it's not so bad and although it seems like it's taken me forever to get settled, the apartment is actually pretty comfortable. Living alone does seem strange sometimes, but I keep telling myself it's not forever - only until next summer. Maybe Tim will come home and visit one of these days. Soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment