Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Wednesday, July 04, 2012

You can never have too many...

Agathas in your life.  I've been an Agatha Christie fan from the moment I read The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.  I even named my little scottish dog after her.  And now I've discovered Agatha Raisin - the blundering amateur sleuth created by M.C. Beaton.  We are introduced to Agatha in The Quiche of Death, wherein she has just retired from a successful public relations career in London.  She fulfills a lifelong dream of living in a small English village by purchasing a quaint, thatched cottage in the Cotswolds.  She is welcomed to Carseley by the Ladies Society, headed by Mrs. Bloxby, the vicar's wife.  Always competitive in both business and personal matters, Agatha enters a local baking contest at the village fete.  She can't cook, so she travels to London and buys a quiche at her favorite shop, entering it as her own.  Lo, and behold, the philandering judge of the contest dies after eating Agatha's quiche and she's suspected of his much-deserved murder.  And so begins her career as a detective.  Along the way, she makes her first real friend, local police Detective Bill Wong - half English, half Chinese - whose love life is continually sabotaged by his horrible parents with whom he unfortunately resides.  Agatha Raisin isn't terribly likeable at first; she's pushy, petty and suffers from seriously low self-esteem.  About halfway through the story, we begin to understand her a little better and by the end, well, she's become someone it might be interesting to know.  I won't spoil the story if you haven't had the pleasure of reading it - but if you do, you'll want to read the next one and the next...  I'm on the fourteenth Agatha Raisin mystery now with seven more to go.  The books and quirky characters just keep getting better and better!


No comments:

Post a Comment