Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Who'd have thought...

that it would be so hard to find a simple curtain rod these days?  Apparently everyone has jumped on the home decorating bandwagon and as a result, no one wants a simple wide pocket curtain rod anymore.  It would seem that everyone is interested in buying (and selling) decorative window hardware.  All I want a simple valance over the bedroom window - and to achieve the effect I'm going for, I need a plain curtain rod that will be hidden from sight.  Well, after a fruitless trip to WalMart - where I have purchased every other plain Jane curtain rod for eons, I resorted to searching online. I finally found what I was looking for at Lowe's - a place I never go.  And since I cannot make the valance until I have the rod (for the exact pocket width measurement) it looks like I'll be taking a trip to my local Lowe's Home Improvement store.  And I may just buy two curtain rods - while I was perusing their selection of window treatments and hardware, I found a lovely sage window valance by Waverly that would be perfect over my office window!
I was going to make a valance for that window, but I had yet to find a fabric or style that I really liked.  And then I saw this one - and it's only $30 for an eighty-inch wide valance.  I especially like the layered look and button detail.
What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I love it!! Ready made that LOOKS this good is so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last time I needed a wide curtain rod the only ones I could find were too expensive for my budget. I came up with a solution, though. If your valance material isn't sheer, you can attach pieces of cardboard cut to the right width to a regular curtain rod (with hot glue, duct tape, or masking tape) and slide your now-wide rod through the valance pocket.

    ReplyDelete