Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Friday, July 30, 2010

My repair skills...

are nowhere near on par with those of my friends, Allen and Tom, but I did manage to clean up and replace the twill tape on this antique chalkboard today.  I have had this since I was a little girl - I was seven or eight.  We lived in Hyannisport, Massachusetts and one day my dad came home with a bunch of toys from a store his boss had bought out.  I suspect his employers were more interested in the building than the inventory so that's why all of their employees with kids got Christmas in July!  Anyhow, while I was thrilled with this chalkboard, I was even more enamored of the black baby doll I received.  She had a pink dress and pink booties and pink ruffled undies.  Imagine - a potty-trained baby!  I named her Ethel and took that doll everywhere, much to my mother's chagrin.  Now, years later, I cannot remember what became of Ethel, but I still have my chalkboard.  The top section once had a rolling paper primer with alphabets and animals on it, but my sister demolished it sometime in the seventies.  I replaced it with a primitive sampler I cross-stitched on some old linen years later - I think it looks like it belongs.  The frame is solid oak, so you should have seen me trying to drive upholstery tacks into the twill tape under the chalk ledge in the front.  It's slightly messy and there are two tacks in each piece of tape, but fortunately you can't see it.  I gave up on the tacks and tied the twill tape in the back.  At least it won't fall over anymore!  Now I just have to get some chalk so I can write a message on the board.  I haven't quite decided where to put this treasure yet - but it will probably end up in the living room.  It's like having an old friend come to stay.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE your chalkboard. Isn't it nice to have links with the past?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasure to have from your childhood and all the happy memories that surround it. Glad you got it repaired. I think it would be a fun addition in the house.
    ♥ Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great! Love the whole story behind it. I think your stitchery looks great with it. NIce work!

    ReplyDelete