Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Thinking deep, theological thoughts...

A weed is no more than a flower in disguise.
James Russell Lowell

The other day a friend of mine said that she doesn't like the idea of God testing us.  She said that she doesn't think He has time to sit around thinking of things to throw our way with which to test our mettle.  I asked her if she thought God had time to watch over us and send good things our way.  "Well, of course," was her reply.  I asked her why she thought He had time for that but not time to test us.  All I got was a puzzled glance.  She admitted that she just didn't really like the idea of a God who would test our faithfulness.  "I just don't like the word test," she said.  I suggested that maybe God challenges us to make the right choices and in doing so, helps us to become better people.  She decided that she could live with an occasional challenge from above more easily than she could a test.  The whole idea of challenges from God got me thinking about how everything, from little challenges to major hurdles, is really a blessing in disguise - like James Russell Lowell's thoughts about weeds and flowers.  I've made more than my fair share of wrong choices in what were surely tests from God , but I'm learning to make the right choices much more often. 

2 comments:

  1. Everything God allows in our lives is to conform us to the likeness of his Son Jesus. Do you think God allowed suffering and even temptations in Christ life when he was on earth. The answer is of course yes. The Bible says He was tempted in every way just as we are, but he didn't sin. (Heb. 4:15) Also, Romans 8:18 tells us that our present sufferings are not worth comparing to the glory that will be revealed in us. In other words, just wait and hang on baby, because your socks will be knocked off when you see glory.
    He knows the way that I take and when He has tried me I shall come forth as gold. Job 23:10
    Also, Psalm 26:2 Test me and try me O Lord. Examine my heart and mind.
    Of course there it the entire book of Job.
    Sorry my mind is zinging a 100 different directions.
    I could go on and on with this subject, it's a good thing to meditate on. I love discussions like this. I just try and be careful about what I think and always go to God's word for the truth.
    Thanks for sharing your conversation.

    ♥ Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dawn! :)

    I too don't like to be tested. I do think it is interesting that God could be sitting up in Heaven thinking of how to "test" us. I was a 4.0 grade college student in most of my classes, so in real life I will be happy to just pass.

    Yoli

    ReplyDelete