Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Finished at last...

the bookkeeping and taxes for my neighbor's restaurant for the past three years is done! Now I am working on those boxes under the desk for a lady who owns fourteen rental mobile homes. Yikes! It's two years worth of stuff - and a big mess. I like the puzzle aspect of my work, but sometimes it's nice when someone just brings you a nice, organized file to work with. Cari's box was like that - all organized by month - but it was a lot of data entry work. At last I didn't have to organize it before I could start working on it.
This is as far as I've gotten with this project - I've sorted everything by property and now I have to do each individual property's expenses by year. I did get to use my handy-dandy handheld label machine, so that was fun. I am easily amused... I just don't feel like looking at it anymore today.
Another project I have told myself I must complete before the end of the summer is scanning all of my client e-file and W2 forms and other can't-throw-away stuff for tax year 2008. I was going to move my scanner over by the shredder, but I can't because of the fax line. I just have to figure out a way to get the scanner on a lower level so I can sit down and do the work, instead of standing in front of the machine. A chair might be about the right height - I figure I have about a day's worth of that project, including cataloging everything into my electronic file cabinet. You'd think that someone who writes real paper letters to people wouldn't be so adverse to having paper files, but I love the idea of a paperless office. There's something about seeing three hundred client files reduced to one small box of papers required by the IRS. It's paperwork reduction at its finest!
And this is Otis, our resident rodent. It's amazing the number of people who think he is real when they see him peeking out of his latest hiding spot. He got some rough handling from a few kids during tax season and his tail needed mending. Then Peter the cat got hold of him and tried to unstuff his poor tail, so I finally stitched him up and he is good as new. My husband got him at a place called Fiery Food Junction a couple of years ago and Otis has lived here happily ever after. He doesn't eat much and he is a very tidy pet. Isn't he cute?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dawn, Just got off the phone with you and must say I love your blog. Your style of writing is everything I would expect from you - witty, inteligent and in a word DAWN! I love Otis (I too thought he was real LOL). I'm not surprised that he gives your clients a start or that the cats have tried to unstuff his tail. Keep up the good work my friend. Dorie PS: I confess I am BLOG ILLITERATE. You want me to post as "Comment Profile" and I have absolutely no idea what any of that means so what I just wrote may have been an exercise in futility but here goes anyway.

    ReplyDelete