Welcome!

I've finally decided that I am a writer - all the other things I do just pay the bills. Someone eloquent once said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. Well, let's just see about that.

RIP Aggie

RIP Aggie
Aggie was my fifteen-year-old cairn terrier - or maybe I should say I was her 55-year-old person! She was my faithful companion, spoiled rotten and I am still trying to figure out what to do without her.

Peter the Cat...

Peter the Cat...
This is Peter the gingersnap tabby! He's seven years old and has just been promoted to Peter the Very, Very Good. He is working his way up to Peter the Great...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...

Bee - the Cat Who Came From Somewhere Else...
Bee is Peter's buddy. He's eight years old and has made himself right at home. I guess cats really do come in pairs or sets of three!

And Jasper makes three!

And Jasper makes three!
Jasper is our new guy - the Cat From Another Place. He's four years old and we think he likes it here - so far, so good!

Buzz about...

Friday, July 01, 2011

Weekend plans...

My friend, Richard, stopped by today and brought me some weekend reading.  In turn, he picked up my bag full of Monk mysteries to keep him busy.  So now I have weekend plans!  I've read a few Lisa Scottoline thrillers in the past and I'm sure Devil's Corner will be just as good.  She's not usually an author I pick up on my own - but I never pass up a free book when someone offers it to me.  I've never read Sue Grafton, mainly because my mother thought that her books were the be all and end all of literature.  My mother and reading is a long story for another time...  I'm certainly not going to go back and start with A is for Alibi, but Richard said that S is for Silence is well worth a few hours of my time.  I'll try it - I'll let you know what I think later.  The third book, Second Sight, is actually young adult historical fiction about the Lincoln assassination.  Apparently Richard picked it up at a thrift store and was surprised how good it turned out to be.  I've read my share of Civil War fiction (can you say Gone With the Wind?) and I'm hoping it's equally good.  When I was in high school I read a Civil War trilogy by an author who was popular in the 1940s - Gwen Bristow.  Her books are all out of print, but if you ever see one - pick it up.  You'll be pleasantly surprised.  I can't remember the names of the trilogy books - one might have been The Handsome Road - but her book about the California Gold Rush, entitled Calico Palace, was excellent.  And now I have the vague feeling of deja vu and having written about Bristow's books before.  Guess it's time to retire to the sofa with Aggie, Peter and Lisa Scottoline.

1 comment:

  1. Oh! I hope you enjoy the Sue Grafton book. I confess to having read all of them up to and including "T" is for Trespassing. Have you ever read any of Sara Paretsky's mysteries? I enjoy her books, too. A cloudy Saturday is the perfect excuse for being on your couch! :-)
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete